Join our team as a Transit Driver! This is an exciting opportunity for a customer focused individual that is driven by the need to help others. Be an ambassador for the City of Brampton and give back to the community.
Posting number: 104498
Training salary: $25.26 per hour
Temporary salary: $29.26 per hour
Job status: Contract
Job type: Union
Hours of work: Minimum of 40 hours / week
Transit Drivers work various shifts (straight, split, days, nights, weekends, and holidays) any 5 days of the week with a typical minimum of 40 hours per week, and possible overtime offered thereafter.
The Role Involves:
- Operating a transit bus, collecting fares from clients, issuing transfers and following a pre-assigned route
- Being responsible for the safe operation of the vehicle, safety of all passengers and respect for other users of the road
- Providing high quality customer service and information to the public regarding transit routes
- Maintaining and adhering to operational schedules and abiding by Highway Traffic Act, Occupational Health and Safety Act, all other applicable legislation, city policies and procedures. Documenting incidents and reports to coordinators/supervisor.
Transit driving is a rewarding career with great benefits:
- Flexible work schedule
- Competitive salaries
- Fully paid five-week training program
- Group benefits (including health and dental)
- Development opportunities for advancement to supervisory roles
- Learning and development
- Independent work
- Inclusive workplace culture where you can be yourself
We are looking for candidates who demonstrate the following:
- Exceptional face to face customer service
- Passionate about your community
- Effective listener and communicator with a positive attitude
- Personable and respectful of others
- Resilient when faced with difficult situations
- Calm under pressure, patient
- Effective conflict resolution and de-escalation skills
Based on previous growth over the past 5 years, temporary Transit Drivers with satisfactory performance were successful in obtaining full-time positions within 12-18 months of being hired. The current rate of pay for a full-time Transit Driver is $36.57 per hour.
To help us learn more about you, please submit your resume and a 3-Year driver’s abstract describing how you meet the following requirements.
- Completed Grade 12 education or equivalent secondary education as established by the Ontario Ministry of Education. A Canadian equivalency document is required for education obtained outside of Canada.
- 2-years of strong face to face customer service skills as demonstrated through previous work experience.
- Possession of a valid non-probationary Ontario Class “G” Driver’s Licence in good standing.
- A current class CZ licence in good standing, or the ability to upgrade an existing class G driver’s licence to a class CZ licence.
- A 3-year Driver’s Abstract (with no infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents – no exceptions) dated within 4 weeks of your application date. Do not submit a CVOR (Commercial Vehicle Operator’s Registration) as this will not be accepted. We will not accept Driver’s Abstracts that do not meet this criteria.
- Previous transit bus driving experience an asset.
- Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills with an emphasis on customer service.
- Able to read, understand and follow written rules and procedures along with verbal instructions combined with an ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to be resilient when faced with difficult circumstances.
- An exceptional ability to communicate effectively with a positive attitude and overcome difficult and tense customer interactions.
- Able to work all shifts, variable hours, including weekends and statutory holidays.
- In-depth knowledge of streets and locations within the City of Brampton and connecting communities.
- Able to handle physical demands of the job. Able to work outside and in all weather conditions.
- Strong time management and organizational skills. Able to work independently and as part of a team in a fast paced environment.
- Able to wear required personal protective equipment
Job status: Contract
- Job Type: Union
- Applications must be received by: January 22,2022 Alternate formats will be provided upon request. If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above quoting
- Reference #104498 by January 22, 2022 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted. In accordance with the City of Brampton’s Vaccination Administrative Directive, new employees are required to disclose their vaccination status and provide proof of full vaccination* before their start date. Employees who are unvaccinated or do not disclose their vaccination status will be required to:
- a) complete the City of Brampton’s mandatory learning regarding COVID-19 vaccination; and
- b) take regular COVID-19 tests prior to attending the workplace. Employees must demonstrate a negative COVID-19 test result in order to attend the workplace. The City of Brampton strongly encourages candidates to be fully vaccinated prior to your start date. New employees who are not fully vaccinated may request accommodation based on medical (disability), religious, or other protected grounds. Employees with an approved accommodation will only be required to adhere to item b) above. * Fully vaccinated means the two-week anniversary after receiving a vaccination series approved by Health Canada or the World Health Organization. Acceptable proof includes an Ontario Ministry of Health COVID-19 vaccine receipt which you can obtain through the Provincial portal https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/ , or other government-issued vaccine passport or certification. The City of Brampton continues to follow COVID-19 workplace control measures including physical distancing, masking, hygiene, personal protective equipment (e.g. medical masks, eye protection), and capacity limits to create a healthy and safe environment for both employees and the public.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.