Brampton, ONTARIO, Canada
At CN everyday brings new and exciting challenges. You can expect an interesting environment where you’re part of making sure our business is running optimally and safely―helping keep the economy on track. We provide the kind of paid training and opportunities that long-term careers are built on and we recognize hard workers who strive to make a difference. You will be able to thrive in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
The Terminal Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the daily fluidity of their respective terminal or territory. Terminal fluidity is driven primarily by prioritizing safety through policy implementation, consistent process management and effective use of all available assets. All employees are required to follow the safety rules associated to their craft to avoid injuries and accidents. The role leads by example in terms of safety compliance and promotes discretionary effort related to rule compliance amongst all employees through awareness and education. The incumbent operates with a mix of unionized employees and managers. Additional tasks include overseeing the process implementation amongst both groups of CN employees with strict adherence to local collective agreements. Assets within Intermodal include reach stacker cranes, gantry cranes, shunt trucks and hitch trucks, all of which are used to unload and load intermodal railcars with a variety of different container sizes that primarily sit on chassis or trailers. The position also ensures management of assets in a way that enables cost effective loading and unloading of Intermodal trains and efficient service to the trucking community that uses CN terminals.
Safety and Compliance Management
· Control daily safety requirements
· Validate rule compliance including positive feedback for compliance and appropriate follow-up for non-compliance
· Provide coaching and formal statements
Placement and Productivity
· Plan placement and monitor productivity on all assets to successfully unload inbound trains and fully load outbound trains for on-time departures
· Onboard, coach and mentor all employees on process changes and operational requirements
· Ensure trucking community is receiving timely service to limit truck driver dwells in the terminal
The role is performed in a 24/7 office environment and work shifts include overnight hours, weekends and holidays. The role is partially performed outdoors in various types of weather and environmental conditions. The role requires being available on-call 24/7 to respond to critical incidences. Due to the nature of the role, the incumbent must be able to meet tight deadlines, handle pressure and stress.
· Minimum 5 years of experience in an operation environment
o Experience leading a large (300+) unionized workforce
o Experience in a 24/7 environment
o Experience directing employees with safety sensitive or safety critical jobs
· Post Secondary Degree with a specialization in Operations or Marketing*
· Valid Driver’s Licence
· First Aid Certification
*Any designation for these above would be considered as an asset
· Follows safety procedures, information security instructions and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) principles to lead by example
· Cultivates relationships to proactively support customers’ supply chain needs or those that support them
· Collaborates with key internal stakeholders to enable higher productivity
· Inspires others with impactful communications and adapts to the audience
· Leverages feedback and coaching to improve performance
· Makes informed and timely decisions to get things done
· Applies analytical thinking to make recommendations that pursue sustainable performance
· Deals with pressure and change by staying calm to quickly adapt to changes
· Understanding of Safety Management principles
· Knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint)
· Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation and process management
As a leading North American transportation and logistics company, CN is a true backbone of the economy. With a team of approximately 25,000 railroaders, our focus is on moving both our company and the economy forward. We transport US$200 billion worth of goods annually for a wide range of business sectors from resource to manufactured products to consumer goods, across a 20,000-mile network spanning Canada and mid-America. CN is the only Canadian company listed in the Transportation and Transportation Infrastructure sector of the Dow Jones Sustainability World Index (DJSI). Launched in 1999, the DJSI World represents the gold standard for corporate sustainability. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.