Req ID: 21620
Vacancy Type: Permanent
Number of Positions: 70
Closing Date: 05/23/2022
Do you want to help move people across the city? Do you enjoy interacting with the public in a fast-paced environment? MiWay is looking for enthusiastic individuals with a passion for customer service, safety and driving. If that’s you, then come on board! Help the public get where they need to be, by becoming a Transit Operator with MiWay.
Why Work for MiWay?
• Start with MiWay as a Full-Time Permanent Transit Operator;
• Competitive compensation and benefits package with pension (OMERS Retirement Savings plan);
• Career advancement opportunities; and
• Corporate recognition programs.
Want to learn more? Take a ride on one of our 500+ fully accessible buses and see if this job is for you! Plan your trip using our online Trip Planner.
Only have your G license? No problem! We offer a 5-week comprehensive training program for all new hires that will give you the knowledge and experience you need to be successful in the role.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide exceptional customer service to passengers by providing information about routes, directions and fares, while ensuring they arrive to their destination with ease.
• Operate a MiWay vehicle while adhering to the schedule and rules of the road; including various road, weather and traffic conditions.
• Monitor activities on the bus to ensure safety of passengers and a positive customer experience.
• Effectively communicate with Supervisors, Transit Enforcement and Transit Control for important information.
• Perform safety inspections of the bus to ensure safety while on the road and report any incidents to Transit Control.
• Ensure the needs of passengers with accessible seating or mobility devices are met and deploy wheelchair ramp when necessary.
• Observe payment of passenger cash and PRESTO fares, enter data into fare box and issue/check the validity of transfers/passes.
• Demonstrate the MiWay values of teamwork and commitment at every opportunity.
Skills and Qualifications
• Must possess a valid, unrestricted fully-licensed Class “G” Driver’s Licence or above (or equivalent for out of province applicants) for a minimum of 3 years.
• Minimum 3 years of face-to-face customer service experience in a fast-paced environment.
• Ability to work a variety of shifts including nights, weekends, holidays and split shifts in a 24 hour, 365 day operational environment.
• Must be able to meet all legislated standards governing the issuance of a CZ Licence, including the successful completion of a medical exam.
• A Driver’s Abstract indicating safe and responsible vehicle operation for the past 3 years with no infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents.
• Proven ability to understand, speak and write in English in order to communicate effectively with the public and to report on incidents involving safety and/or service.
• Strong ability to learn and use software applications and email.
• Demonstrated experience dealing with the public in a position which requires excellence in problem-solving, conflict-resolution and independence.
• Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
• A Criminal Record Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a record suspension has not been granted.
Physical Demands of the Job:
The successful candidate must have the ability to meet the physical demands of the job including, but not limited to:
• Prolonged periods of sitting for approximately 20-75 minute straight intervals over an 8 hour shift;
• Consistent foot action of approximately 4-6 kilogram-force of both the right and left foot to operate the gas and signal pedals;
• Frequent repetitive reaching (vertical and horizontal), gripping of large steering wheel, bending and twisting of back, and twisting and turning of neck;
• Assisting passengers with accessible seating and bike rack;
• Push and pull of approximately 10-15 kilogram-force parking brake; and
• Using fine finger movements to issue transfer slips, enter data into fare box/iBus and operate controls.
These are unionized positions, involving split shifts and night shifts; you must provide maximum flexibility for a 40-hour work week to be scheduled any time, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
To learn more about a day in a Transit Operator’s life, click the below link: https://youtu.be/YzOzEuZfkmg
Details of test times, dates and location will be e-mailed only to applicants who meet the position requirements and screening criteria and are selected to move forward in the recruitment process. To learn more about our recruitment process, click here
At time of testing candidates will be required to submit a current and clean 3-Year Driver’s Abstract (with no infractions, offences, convictions, demerit points or accidents – no exceptions). Abstracts must be dated within 4 weeks of the testing date. Please note, applicants which do not meet the criteria for the Driver’s Abstract will not be considered for testing and the recruitment process (no refunds will be issued). For information on how to apply for a Driver’s Abstract click here
Hourly Rate/Salary: 22.04 – 36.73
Hours of Work: 40
Work Location: 975 Central Parkway
Department/Division/Section: T&W/Transportation&Works Dept , T&W/Mississauga Transit , MT Operations
Non-Union/Union: Transit Union
A Criminal Record Search will be required of the successful candidate, their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
COVID-19 Update: As per the City’s Employee Recruitment Policy, all external candidates (including previously employed individuals) must show their Fully Vaccinated Confirmation or apply for and receive confirmation of a creed or medical exemption from the City before their first day.
A Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3) will be required of the successful candidate, at their own expense, to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
We thank all who apply, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. You can also check your application status in your candidate profile online.
Applicants interviewed for this position in the last 9 months will not be considered for this current competition.
All personal information is collected under the authority of the Municipal Act.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. In accordance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, 2005 and the Ontario Human Rights Code, the City of Mississauga will provide accommodations throughout the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process to applicants with disabilities. If selected to participate in the recruitment, selection and/or assessment process, please inform Human Resources of the nature of any accommodation(s) that you may require in respect of any materials or processes used to ensure your equal participation.