Job ID 2022-7012Job Location 1: Company CA-ON-Brampton# Positions 1Job Type Full TimeJob Industry Government and Public SectorCareer Level ExperiencedYears of Experience 3
JOB TITLE: ASSOCIATE, LABOUR RELATIONS
DEPARTMENT: Corporate Support Services
POSTING NUMBER: 104833
JOB STATUS & DURATION: Full Time Permanent
HOURS OF WORK: 35 hour workweek
LOCATION: The City of Brampton has implemented a gradual reintegration of staff into the workplace. Beginning on April 4, 2022, onsite work location of two (2) days a week will commence. Beginning on July 4, 2022, this will increase to three (3) days a week. There will be continued opportunities for hybrid work from September 2022 onwards, and we’ll continue to evaluate to determine which hybrid model works best. Once working onsite, you will report to the location of City Hall.
SALARY GRADE: 4
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $73,881.00 – $83,116.00 per annum
MAXIMUM OF SALARY RANGE: $92,351.00 per annum
JOB TYPE: Management and Administration
POSTING DATE: June 8, 2022
CLOSING DATE: June 21, 2022
AREA OF RESPONSIBILITY:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, Employee and Labour Relations, this role is responsible to coordinate and facilitate daily workflow activities, programs, processes, and project initiatives within established timelines. Provide coordinated work services and guidance to maintain a smooth and efficient operation of the department by demonstrating judgment and independence to meet operational needs and corporate service standards.
Research and investigation: Provides first tier Labour Relations review and completes analysis, research and provides background to Senior Labour Relations Advisor for issue management resolve. Produces key Labour Relations metrics to assist with decision making and proactive initiatives to support client groups and common labour issues. Recommends Labour Relations improvements through identification of market trending results and best practice research.
General Labour Relations advice: Provides guidance and interpretation services for Collective Agreements, policies, procedural provisions and legislative compliance matters. Identifies issues and escalates as required. Participates in the preparatory analysis for arbitration, grievances and negotiation and provides analysis and documentation needs to support activities. Maintains files and labour relations information systems.
- Provide organized and proactive coordination of assigned initiatives including correspondence, documentation and answering enquiries to meet operational needs and corporate service standards.
- Coordinate administrative support functions and provide ongoing review, recommendations and information handling to meet corporate service standards.
- Assist with special projects and initiatives.
- Respond to customer enquiries; prioritize requests, respond accordingly to meet customer expectations and escalate enquiries for resolution.
- Build and maintain a relationship with cross-functional departments, team, management and externally, to foster and support coordination while carrying out accountabilities.
COMMUNICATION AND REPORTING
- Prepare reports, standard correspondence and other relevant materials requested accurately by established timelines.
- Maintain up-to-date files, documentation, correspondence or other relevant materials and ensure necessary sign-offs and approvals meet policies and confidentiality.
- Conduct research using internal and external resources to gain insight of current programs, processes and practices to assist management in ways to support operational needs.
- Maintain knowledge of collective agreements, City policies and practices, legislation, regulations and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Use of effective resource and expense management at all times to meet corporate policies and guidelines.
TEAMWORK AND COOPERATION
- Assist in special projects and training as required.
- Work well within diverse groups in support of operational goals and objectives.
- Demonstrate corporate values at all times.
- Participate as a member of cross-functional team.
- Provide support/backup as necessary.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in Human Resources, Industrial Relations, Business or equivalent in related field.
- CHRP designation would be an asset.
- 3-5 years Human Resources experience preferably in a unionized environment.
- Ability to support staff, coach and provide guidance.
OTHER SKILLS AND ASSETS:
- Comprehensive understanding of employment legislation, including LRA, ESA, OHRC and OHSA.
- Superior interpersonal skills including the ability to work effectively in a team environment.
- Demonstrated experience at providing exemplary customer service and people management to handle inquiries and resolve issues to meet corporate service standards.
- Ability to identify business needs, initiate and coordinate project resource requests.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise significant discretion and sensitivity, and to use consultative and relationship building skills with diverse client groups.
- Project Management experience is an asset.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft office and additional related software programs and databases.
**Various tests and/or exams may be administered as part of the selection criteria.
Alternate formats will be provided upon request.
Interview: Our recruitment process will be completed with video conference technology.
As part of the corporation’s Modernizing Job Evaluation project, this position will undergo an evaluation which may result in a change to the rate of compensation. Any changes affecting this position will be communicated as information becomes available.
If this opportunity matches your interest and experience, please apply online by clicking the button above (quoting reference #104833 by June 21, 2022 and complete the attached questionnaire. We thank all applicants; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. The successful candidate(s) will be required, as a condition of employment, to execute a written employment agreement. A criminal record search will be required of the successful candidate to verify the absence of a criminal record for which a pardon has not been granted.
As part of the application process, applicants will be invited to complete a self identification survey. The survey is voluntary. Participation in the survey will have no impact on hiring decisions. All information collected is confidential and will not be shared with the hiring manager. The surveys will be anonymized and will be kept separate from applicant or employee files, such that the individuals who completed the surveys will not be identifiable. The results of the survey will assist in the analysis of disaggregated metrics for organizational planning purposes and our commitment to advance and foster diversity, equity, and inclusion. The City may use anonymized data to produce aggregate reports for internal or external use.
Please be advised, the City of Brampton uses email to communicate with their applicants for open job competitions. It is the applicant’s responsibility to include an updated email address that is checked daily and accepts emails from unknown users. As we send time sensitive correspondence via email (i.e. testing bookings, interview dates), it is imperative that applicants check their email regularly. If we do not hear back from applicants, we will assume that you are no longer interested in the Job Competition and your application will be removed from the Competition.